Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Looking for sea glass.

Before I moved to the east coast I thought that wherever I went in Nova Scotia, I'd smell that wonderful salty air.  But that's not the way it is.  I've stood right at the sea side and not smelled a whiff of salty air. 

The only time I've had my senses overwhelmed with that marvellous scent has been after a storm surge or if it's a misty "close" day.

I just got back from a walk around MacCormack's Beach boardwalk and the smell of salty air, mixed vaguely with the pong of seaweed greeted my nose.  I inhaled deeply.  Ahhhhhhh.  Love it !

I've been down to the boardwalk a couple of times this week, to saunter along the beach at low tide looking for sea glass or as some call it, "Mermaid's Tears". 

Sea glass is just pieces of discarded glass that have been worn smooth by the action of waves.  It comes in different colours with clear and green being the most common.  I found a teeny piece of blue today and have added it to my collection which I'm going to start putting in a glass container for easy display.

I love browsing along looking for interesting shells, glass or stones that catch my eye.  But I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to bundle against the driving cold wind, while I do my searching.

Here are shots of my two days haul.

 

Below is a shot of my interesting beach stuff collection.  Note the polka dot rock sitting in the shell.



1 comment:

  1. Oh those bits of glass are lovely and your display makes them seem even more so. I didn't think sea glass was found on the beaches here. I'm obviously just frequenting the wrong beaches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.