Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A drizzly cold day

It is a drizzly cold day today. 
Two or three degrees celsius.  No sun.  And of course, a light rain.

A day that chills you to the bone and depresses you with its dull sameness.

I took Wendy and the pups for a walk at Shubie Park. 

Wearing my puffy, purple coat, ear muffs and mittens, I pulled my coat hood over my head and hunched my shoulders for a chilly walk.


The sky was grey and the woods dripping.

But I soon stop.  Something catches my eye.  There is life beneath the sleeping trees. It is not all brown and dull.  And even the browns, glisten in more shades than I can name


And the moss.  The glorious moss.  Does moss never loose its vibrant colour ?  Even after it has been covered with winter's snows does it still lurk there green and alive ?




The pups stand peering high into the branches of the trees hoping to catch a glimpse of a scolding red squirrell.  When they hear that chittering call, they fairly loose their minds.  Did it go this way ?  or that ?
Run, run, run.  Pant, pant, pant.  Wag, wag, wag. "Did you see me?  Did you see me run?"  They check back in with me to briefly share their joy.


Can you hear the rustle as you walk through the leaves ?  and smell that wonderful musty leaf smell ?

There are even crocodiles in these woods.  I almost sat on one that had cleverly disguised itself as a log.


The trees are talking as their branches brush each other in the light breeze.  "Time to go" they chide. "Night is coming early these days.  Time to go".


I guess they're right.

But this walk has been far from dull.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.