Sunday, December 5, 2010

Missing someone I never met ...

Woke up this morning to the sound of John Lennon singing.


The CBC Martime Morning show was marking the 30th anniversary* of John Lennon's death. 

The songs were wonderful to hear and made me want to haul out a Beatles record to listen to more of John, Paul, George and Ringo who had been so much a part of my life. 

I was 14 in 1964.  Talk about lucky !   I recall seeing them for the first time over the course of three consecutive weeks on "The Ed Sullivan Show".  I screamed myself senseless when I saw them  at Maple Leaf Gardens.   I watched "Hard Day's Night" 12 times !   Each successive record album would be an adventure as their style  and message changed and they brought us along for the the ride. 

And what a ride it was !



The rebellious and cheeky John, challenged our views and made us think. 


Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one


 
Thanks John. 
I'm sorry. 
And I miss you.

Peace.



*  The actual date of John's death is December 8. 


5 comments:

  1. You are just a "treasure" house of information - apparently there are lots of these in the Peterborough area - I guess I will be on the hunt now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops ... sorry, posted this on the wrong one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty, you're talking about the previous post on Geo Caching ... if you don't have a GPS you could look into something similar called "letter boxing" which is like a treasure hunt.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was at school, we all had a favourite Beatle. You just asked 'Who's yours?' Everyone knew what we meant.Mine was John, and his picture was inside the lid of my desk. I was a lot older than 14 when he was shot, but still devastated. I personally think he was the real creative energy of the 'Fab Four'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynne,

    Mine was George.

    Hey, I wasn't 14 when John was shot (bless you !) I was 14 when I first saw them in 1964.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.