Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Marge visits ...

Friend Marge, from my home town of Peterborough, Ontario, was just here for a brief visit.  Being a professional photographer, she drove here, taking photos along the way for her website.

I never tire of introducing friends to Halifax and the surrounding area.  It's a delight to share the places I love, and see them through fresh eyes.

Fisherman's Cove and McCormack's Boardwalk, here in Eastern
Passage  are always on my must see list. 

Some years ago the older buildings in Fisherman's Cove were turned into colourful, boutique stores in an effort to attract visitors, and for a few years the plan worked.  Then the cruise ships started taking their travellers to visit the better known Peggy's Cove instead.   Sadly, many of the colourful stores now stand empty.


Marge and I wandered around the Cove, taking pictures of things that caught our eye, and then later in the evening we compared what we'd seen and how we'd captured it.

Boat reflection

Marge 

What is it ?

Here's a misspelled hint.


On Marge's first day here, I awoke with a raging headache, so she  toddled off to Halifax on her own to explore.

To make up for that initial day of neglect, I took her to the Seaport Farmer's Market,

The living roof and wind turbines of Seaport
Farmer's Market
and to see the first Canadian cold climate living wall, which is located at the waterfront campus of the NSCC (Nova Scotia Community College).



The beach at Point Pleasant Park made quite the impression on Marge.


Of course we visited the Happy Dudes Surf Emporium after checking for surfers at Lawrencetown beach on the Eastern Shore.



 

Low tide at Conrad's Beach offered a lovely stretch of wide beach for strolling.


Farther down the beach the conditions were perfect for wind surfing.


We topped it all off with a visit to my "secret beach".



And no, I'm not telling you where it is.  

If you want to see my "secret beach", you'll just have to come for a visit.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, if only! But I am there in spirit and although I don't get by often to comment, I do enjoy catching up and visiting the ocean vicariously through your images and narrative. I'm so happy for you that you have a secret beach. Do keep it that way. For the sake of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how far away from Guysborough you are? (Who knows? We might actually make the family history research trip we dream of one of these years...) Then I could see and experience your seashore!

    The visit with your friend sounds so relaxing and fun - I'm glad your headache went away so you could have the time together and pleasant memories to keep.

    I was so pleased to see the living roof and wind turbines of the Seaport Farmer's Market - every little bit of sustainable living will hopefully add up to a big difference some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I've been to Halifax once many years ago and loved your city. Thanks for taking me around. We went to Peggy's Cove early in the morning before the tours buses. Now with cruise ships visiting it must be bloody awful.
    I was particularly interested to see the green wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy. Others know of it. But not many others.
    Ingebrita, Guysborough County is just farther up the eastern shore. Depending where your home base is there, maybe and hour or two away ...so many marvellous beaches on the Eastern Shore.
    Rosie, I just won't take guests to Peggy's Cove during the tourist season. It's insane there. Funny thing -- the rest of Nova Scotia is definitely NOT crowded in the summer. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.