Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Keeping busy ...

Today I :

Did two loads of laundry and hung 'em on the line.
Re-arranged two kitchen cupboards.
Made a batch of chilli and another of mac and cheese.

Then I sat down and pondered what to do next.   I felt bored.

So I slid the smaller kayak into the back of my car -- it only protrudes a foot or so -- and drove 2 km to DeSaid Lake for a bit of a paddle.


It's a small lake, maybe a  kilometre long at the most.  Because it's shallow, weedy and warm, I was glad I was in a kayak without a rudder or I would have been dragging tons of weeds with me as I circled the lake.  





Can you tell that I felt much better after my paddle ?

I'd heard that there was some filming going on down at the Fisherman's Cove, so I drove there to check it out.

How do you this this warning sign ?  "Throughout the UNIVERSE"!   Guess that covers everything.


A boat ferry, complete with U.S. flag was docked at our unassuming boat launch site which now sported a sign reading "Friday Harbor".   


Various locations in Nova Scotia are standing in for Washington state where the Hallmark movie, "Christmas with Holly", is set.

I imagined that they chose us as our usual cooler, wet weather would nicely replicate December in Washington.  Don't know what they're making of the endless sunshine and scorching heat.  After seeing the woolen lumberjack shirts and heavy coats hanging outside the wardrobe truck, I was glad I hadn't signed on as an "extra" in the filming of this production.  :-)  


 After realizing I couldn't get close enough to the action as I wanted, I drove home, off-loaded the kayak and took Wendy and Trey for a walk along the sea shore.

Low tide.






All-in-all, a pretty good day.

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made a lovely day for yourself Sybs.. your kayak photos (well, all of them really) are amazing! I like that "perception" is written on your kayak.. thanks for the morning lift ;) xo j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayaking is so peaceful Julie.

      I love that "Percy" aka "Perception" is only 35 pounds and easy to lift.

      When you visit, we'll go paddling together.

      Have a great day kiddo.

      Delete
  2. I guess the producers were trying to cover all possibilities, like manned travel to other galaxies. The trips will be long so the travellers might actually look forward to a Hallmark movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a pretty great day! I'd love to be able to just pick up and go off on my own like that from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying retirement and the freedom it brings, Karma

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful day! I always find it interesting that they will film in one location to emulate another. I'd love to try kayaking, but am looking forward to testing out hopefully-previously-seriously-leaking that my husband has just finished repairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, the American TV series, "Haven", is is set in Maine but is filmed entirely here.

      "seriously leaking" what ? canoe ?

      Kayaking is easy peasy.

      Delete
  5. A pretty darn good day, indeed. I am happy that your kayak fits in your car, how cool is that? And that you weren't hesitant to head off by yourself--with camera IN kayak, not afraid you'd tip and ruin camera. My friend is giving me her old kayak. I am afraid to bring the camera. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm a wussy kayaker. I've never tipped in 30 years.

      Kayaking is easier than canoeing (IMHO) as your centre of gravity is much lower. You're down IN the water, not above it.

      I'm sure you'll be quite comfortable taking your camera. You might want to bring a towel, and keep your camera in a
      plastic bag, not coz you'll tip but sometimes the paddles flick water on your lap ... lemme know how you do.

      Delete
    2. If I ever GET the kayak, I'll let you know how I do, Sybil. There seems to be some logistics delivery problems...due to a half pick-up load of wood in the truck. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the gravity advice.

      Delete
  6. The sign is hilarious. I understand the point they're trying to make, and why, but I rather doubt that Canadian law extends to the full extent of the universe . . .

    I think movies should be shot in the real locations or made about imaginary places, like Lost Angeles. Wait - that was a typo but I'm leaving it. Wouldn't it be nice to see a movie set--and shot--in Nova Scotia? 'Course it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerry, you'd be surprised at the number of shows that are shot in Canada -- standing in for the U.S. of course.

      Delete
  7. What would be better than a paddle around a quiet lake & then a walk with dogs on the beach - sounds like heaven. Thank you for your steady stream of encouraging & positive little comments over at Black Street. I bet you don't realize how much they mean to me.

    I have not properly visited Bear River - thank you for the most excellent tour. Our province, Nova Scotia has so much to see ... will put that on my list of future road trips xo S + Gang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, That's only my fourth paddle this year. Not sure why I don't get out more often.

      I enjoy your Blog and your artwork. Hence the compliments come easy.

      More to come on Bear River.

      Delete
  8. You really know how to pack a day! That's really interesting about Nova Scotia's "Friday Harbor." Must be cheaper to film in N.S. than in Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think our provincial government offers financial incentives to lure companies to film here ...

      Delete
  9. I am jealous of your kayak, I would love to be able to pick up and go for a boat ride after work or when I'm feeling a bit bored. Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now managed to master the art of getting that 8 foot kayak into my Honda Fit and shut-the-hatch ! Can you believe that ?

      Paddling is so very restful.

      Delete
  10. sounds like a heavenly day! aren't we lucky to be able to do what we want when we want to?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.