Friday, September 14, 2012

Later that same day ...

I'd heard that Five Islands Provincial Park was a "must see" place so I headed there for my first night of camping.  I hadn't reserved a site but I figured since it was September there would be a vacancy.

I needn't have worried.  Aside from the Park Hosts,I had the entire park to myself !

I chose a site with a view.




Our first evening at the park, Wendy and I went for a hike along trail with look out points that hinted at the amazing scenery below.



The next day we set out to explore the shore looking for interesting rocks and fossils.

It's important when walking along the Fundy shore, to know where you are in the tide cycle.  Tides occur approximately every six hours.  Two high tides and two low tides every day -- but changing each day by 50 minutes.   You don't want to get caught by a 40 foot tide !   The tides don't rush in like some sort of tsunami.  It's much more subtle than that.  But coming in at a rate six or seven feet in an hour it is not something to be messed with.

So when to go exploring the shore ?

Would low tide be the best time to go exploring ?

While you're thinking about that, here are some snaps from my beach excursion at Five Islands.




Have you decided ?

Need more time ?




Your best bet is to head out is a couple of hours AFTER high tide.  You'll have much more time to explore and you'll have a bench mark of where the water level was, to watch for, when it comes back in.

I found a good explanation about tides, posted next to the toilet paper roll in the outhouse.




 A clever place to put it.  Don't ya think ?

10 comments:

  1. Is Wendy your dog? Did you go alone? I mean, alone with Wendy? (Which I suppose isn't alone, because you're with someone else...) Looks like fun, Sybil! And thanks for that tide info. Will file it for future visits to the sea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Wendy is one of my two dogs. The other is Trey and I left him behind with my daughter. Otherwise I was alone. I actually like travelling alone. I mean who would want to take four day to cover 250 km ? I keep stopping to check out ruins, pretty views, dead end roads ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now I remember. I actually remember Trey's name more than Wendy's. You'll have to tell me another six times before I remember for sure, though...

      Delete
  3. Kathy, Wendy is one of my two dogs. The other is Trey and I left him behind with my daughter. Otherwise I was alone. I actually like travelling alone. I mean who would want to take four day to cover 250 km ? I keep stopping to check out ruins, pretty views, dead end roads ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a site and what a view ! The type of visit I would like to do, definitely. In a way I did this when I lived in Ireland. Travelling for hours along the coast road or on the small, narrow and lonely roads that all seem to lead you to a "Tea's". Ah, the delight of a warm cup of tea with brown bread and butter ! And the warm welcome of the owner, of course. Love your picnic table too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a lovely trip you had in Ireland. And a lovely "cuppa" is wonderful way to end of the day.

      Delete
  5. As long as the potty is well above high tide mark! This looks like a marvelous adventure. It looks a bit cold there. I never knew tides could occur so closely together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. The "biffies" were high and dry. Two high tides and two low tides a day ... so they're six hours apart. The tides are higher on the Bay of Fundy than anywhere else on earth. Amazing !

      Delete
  6. You must have been near Parrsboro, yes? Over the summer, my wife and I were hiking in torrential rain through Keji National Park, and I thought of you. Have you been there?

    Great photos, Sybil, and excellent advice about the tides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to Keji Seaside and it is lovely, but no camping there. Haven't stayed at main Keji yet.

      I need to get some really good waterproof walking togs. We just had a record month for rain ...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.