Monday, October 1, 2012

'splorin' the "Whopper" with Lynne ...


Last week I went exploring the "Whopper" trail in Bayer's Lake with Lynne, Trey and Wendy.  The trail begins behind the Burger King -- famous for it's "Big Whopper" burger -- hence the trail name.


It was one of those lovely sunny, coolish days that reinforce my love for Autumn. A perfect day for a hike.

Mountain bikers have painted the rocks with colourful arrows and put matching ribbons in trees to mark the various trails, as the path can be hard to follow on the smooth rock sections. 


One of those paths led down into a lovely bog.  It was too soggy for us "two-leggers" to cross, but the dogs had no such reservations.


We came across this marker on one of the trails.


Crown Land is owned by the Province of Nova Scotia and we are free to explore it, and apparently to hunt and fish on it too !

But we're happy just to tramp around, taking photos and occasionally squealing "Look at that mushroom!".


There were boulders, whose tops were covered in crispy white lichens, and and whose sides bristled with ferns.


And there was a lush, green valley of deep, soft moss and feathery ferns.


 Walking on it was like walking on a leaking, waterbed.



And the scents !  Of the marvellous scents, moved from rich, sharp evergreens, to musty,  fallen leaves to the sweet, earthy scent of moss and ferns.  We inhaled deeply.  

We came across this little fellow sunning himself on an open part of the trail.


We're definitely going back there -- soon.

Wanna come ?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I do! It sounds wonderful. All that moisture. I'd have to learn to dress for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or just get used to wet feet ... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes please. Miss Sadie and the Cowboy wish to come too, which might be a bit of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no. They are most welcome. I love walking with a giddy pack of dog. I absorb their happiness.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy the smells of the woods, the damp smell is one that I can almost smell as I look at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever made a terrarium with mosses and teeny ferns ? Through it, you can have access to that damp smell through the long winter months.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate that you shared the sights and the scents! When I read the line "we inhaled deeply" I also inhaled deeply with you...

    I can't imagine walking in squelching boggy ground - it's so dry and dusty where I hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nova Scotia is many things, but seldom "dry and dusty". :-)

      Delete
  5. Count me in. You've sold me. (Actually it was those feathery ferns that closed the deal).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait till the mosquitoes are done so we can walk in "our" nearby woods together Amy-Lynn.

      Delete
  6. Yes! I'm trapped in the Boston burbs and entries like this make me wish I was at my home in Meteghan - so close to an untrampled beach and ferny, mossy, mushroom-y woods. That's the life! Soon....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to make you home sick Margaret. Hope you make it back home asap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am going to have to look behind some of our Burger Kings, maybe they too are portals to secret worlds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.