Saturday, February 2, 2013

The definition of insanity ...


According to Albert Einstein, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Today I drove to the Eagle Watch in Sheffield Mills for the second time.

My previous visit which had been a disappointing experience, had been in January of 2010.

Eagles first started visiting the area in the winter months, to feed on shellfish found along the Bay of Fundy mud flats.  Kings County is home to 90% of the poultry producers in Nova Scotia, and local farmers started to supplement the eagle's diet by throwing chicken scraps out for them.

Over two weekends in late January and Early February visitors flock to the area to watch the eagles feeding.

See the eagle ?

Photographers were certainly flocking to the area, but sadly the eagles weren't.
 


A couple of eagles hung out in distant tree at the far end of this field.


The "Watchers" stood at one end of the field, stomping from foot to foot, trying to stay warm as we stared at a  pile of dead chickens mounded mid-field.

We watched in frustration as some idiot woman walked her dog around the perimeter of the field, thus ensuring that no self-respecting eagle would venture near.


I've seen eagles on my explorations of this marvellous province, but was tempted back to Eagle Watch by the lure of multiple, nay "scads" of eagles.  

Didn't happen.

So, do I go back next year for a third time ?

What would Einstein say if I did ?

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No but the local community hall makes a bit of money with pancake breakfasts and chilli/chowder lunches on the two weekends.

      Delete
  2. Nice summary of a group of nutcases waiting for the birdie! The author is exempt of course. You and I will see eagles on our travels Sybs. What about those two guys we saw on Scott's bay? Noone there but you me, the dogs and them! Yay!
    Vxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones we saw a Scots Bay were much closer than any I saw at Eagle Watch.

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure he had to try at least 3 times to come up with the theory of relativity. He'd say you were patient. Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Martha. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. Aww that is too bad! That is crazy someone was walking their dog around the field!?!
    We went last Sunday and it was great! Saw at least 75 eagles. Here are a few of my pics: http://lisaschuyler.com/index.php/2013/01/27/eagle-watch-2013/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa, I just followed your link and weep at the beauty of what you saw. OK. OK. I'll go again next year.

      Folks, follow her link and you'll see what I was hoping I would see.

      Delete
  5. I don't know about Einstein but all I can think about saying is...
    "What a sin!!"

    Maybe you and I can go for a walk one afternoon along the Salt Marsh Trail - you might have a better chance of seeing them there - and not have to spend a small fortune in gas for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, go back for a third time! It's really not insanity in every case. Certain things simply take perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the eventual payoff will be marvellous !

      Delete
  7. I'd go back for sure! Isn't Einstein, um, not with us anymore, anyway? Who's going to tell him? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We always see loads of eagles over there, but have never been to their Eagle Watch. Maybe third time lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sybil, I'm sorry you were disappointed. I have some awesome photos from our visit but I'm not going to show them until after I have entered them into our photo club's slide show competition. They will make you want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments seem to indicate that I should go back. Maybe "third time's a charm" ?

      I look forward to seeing your photos. Good luck in the competition !

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.