Friday, November 7, 2014

Dog Parks.

Where you live are there dog parks ?  What are they like ?  

Halifax is blessed with some marvellous off leash dogs parks.  Does the image below look like a big dog park ?


Coz it's not.   It represents about 1% of Point Pleasant Park.  Can you imagine ?   The full park is 190 acres, of which 90% is designated "off leash" !   Ms. Wikipedia tells me that the park is owned by the Government of Canada (something I did not know) and is leased to Halifax for a ceremonial one shilling per year.   Prior to Hurricane Juan, which devastated the park in 2003, the shaded paths meandered through a massive forest of tall trees.

Before and after images depicting the devastating effects
of Hurricane Juan.  (Image from Wikipedia).

Now the park is far more open and bright with the new young under-story hiding the bare areas.


Located at the Southern tip of Halifax and facing the open ocean, Point Pleasant Park was once seen as a strategic military location,  hosting several artillery batteries,



and still contains the Prince of Wales Tower which is the oldest Martello Tower in North America (1796).

The Prince of Wales Tower

And if you know the right places to explore you can find some hidden ruins.




Many roads and narrower hiking paths criss-cross the park.


You could walk for hours without walking on the same path twice.

Sookie greets a dog walker with his large group of charges.  

And you'll never be short of doggie company !

14 comments:

  1. I am so glad we have a dog park within our neighborhood. The fact I can walk there in less than 10 minutes is its nicest feature. However, it is not nearly as scenic as Point Pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed fortunate to have one close by.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely day. And I just love the shot of the dogs peering in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had climbed down into that "battery", which faced out to sea. There was a back way you could walk right in but it took the dogs a while to figure that out Karen.

      Delete
  3. Great looking scenery for a dog park. You are fortunate to have that. The photos are great. There is nothing here in my 120,000 plus population town however there is a 500 acre park but it is for humans. My dogs have the run of my one acre fenced property so they get plenty of exercise and play time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful that you have an acre. Like your very own back yard dog park ! Are dogs not allowed ON leash in your 500 acre park ?

      Delete
  4. What an absolutely fabulous adventure playground for the pups! I bet they love the freedom of walking without restraint and meeting and greeting their fellow pooches. It sounds like a wonderful social area for all.

    By the way, I have a Blogger ID now, I'm starting up a new blog, nothing spectacular yet, and will tell all of my Wordpress friends about it when I have it better organised. I thought it would be easier to comment here using the ID, so here goes....pushing the "publish" button now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey "Jo", do you not have dog parks in your "neck of the woods" ?

      Why did you switch from WordPress to Blogger ? I'd like to make the opposite move. WordPress appears more versatile and more supportive of its users than Blogger.

      I look forward to following your new Blog.

      Delete
  5. My goodness there are a LOT of dogs in that last picture, Sybil! I like the pics of the doggies looking down in the ruins, for some reason. Just stopping by to some of my favorite people and saying Happy Holidays (OK, a little early.) Hoping all is well with you. Looks like you haven't been blogging lately, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right my friend. I need to get back at the Blogging thang...

      Delete
  6. Thanks Ron. I've been absent from the Blog-o-sphere lately. I better rectify that. See you on Macdonald Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful and large park for dogs ! No, I do not have anything like it around here (where dogs can run freely). So many dogs together, it is amazing. Do they usually get on well together ? I love your curious doggies :) Have a wonderful new year, Sybil and thank you for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "Isa", the dogs at these parks are well socialized and get on well with each other. I just got back from walking Wendy and Sooki at Shubie Park and since it's a holiday (Boxing Day) the place was full of dogs of all sizes and shapes and as usual, there was no problems at all. So you are allowed to have dogs off-leash in all your parks ? Happy New Year back to you my dear.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.