Wednesday, January 24, 2018

What is that man doing ?

Boy that seems like an unusual parking spot out in that field.  And look at that man wandering around throwing things from a big white bucket.

Good grief, they're dead chickens !


Why on Earth was he doing that ?



As I watched, a couple of crows and seagulls swooped down curiously over the field.  For a few minutes they had the field to themselves but seemed hesitant to approach the white carcasses scattered across the field.  They would hop across the field eager for a free meal but mindful of who or what was behind them in the "buffet line".



And it wasn't long before they did have company, as numerous bald eagles swooped down to enjoy the free lunch.



The crows and seagulls were amazingly cheeky ... but not stupid.  They would linger near to the feeding eagles but were careful to keep their distance.


I've been to Eagle Watch before; actually I'm trying to figure out if today was my fourth or fifth visit.  What I can tell you is that it was my most interesting visit.  This is the first time I saw the eagles feeding.  You can see my post about one of my previous visits and a bit of background on Eagle Watch here.

Here's a video link to today's visit.



6 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never seen that before. On the prairies, people sometimes put out hay or something for starving deer in the winter but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never saw anything like this when I lived in Ontario. The locals do it to attract visitors over two winter weekends when they serve breakfasts and lunches at the community hall. Farmers donate the chickens ...

      Delete
  2. Wow! Were you as close to them as you were permitted to go? I would have been trying to use my zoom lens without shaking the camera. :) Still, it must have been a thrilling sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you Google Eagle Watch Sheffield Mills you will see some amazing zoom shots.

      I went as close as allowed. We aren't to go into the field.

      Delete
  3. My goodness! Who would have guessed? I've never seen anything like that before. Can see why you've visited here so many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit addictive. If you Google Eagle Watch you will see some zoom shots that will amaze you ...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.