Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Get a grip !

Winter so far has been a roller coaster of thaw and freeze,  rain and freeze; resulting in most trails being almost unwalkable.

I hauled out my ski pole that I use as a hiking pole but my "grippers" just weren't up to snuff.

For those of you who are lucky enough to not encounter these gawd awful hiking conditions, grippers (also called icers) attach to your boots to allow you to walk on slippery surfaces.  The ones I used to have pulled on over the front of my shoe and then pulled over the heel.  Sadly they have a tendency to flip off the boot and hence get shed in the woods.  Sometimes they can be found hanging from trees.  Other times the trail is decorated with the yellow or orange cleats that have popped out of their rubber.


Two days ago tramping through the woods I looked down and realized I had only one gripper on.


The most common conversations after those about dogs are about grippers.  "Where did you get your grippers?"  "Do those grippers work?"  "Can I ask how much your grippers cost?"

The answer to the last question can range from $10 to $80 !

My grippers were the low end ones and after a while I came to realize it was time to step up and get better ones.




Exhibit A  -- new grippers


With taxes they were around $60.  And after my first walk with them today I quickly realized they were worth every penny.


One of our favourite destinations is the small waterfall in the woods.

   

The waterfall is different each time we visit it.  And so are the trails leading there.


Without my grippers I would miss all this ...


Me and my buddies would miss all this ...


And today's foggy mild day is going to give way to frigid temperatures tomorrow which will lead to even more ice ... sigh.



10 comments:

  1. I have a pair of low-end grippers but am too lazy to put them on. I wiped out crossing an icy street on Sunday and went flat on my back. Luckily did not hit my head (which I've done before) or crack my tailbone (which I did last winter). My shoulders and torso took most of the impact, so after a day of being stiff, I'm fine now. When will I learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to buy the better ones. Plus they're easier to put on as there are velcro straps. You just need to fit them properly the first time. You must be sore from your falls ... take care.

      Delete
  2. Glad you bought some good ones! Yesterday was the first time it's been icy around here....I had to turn around and go back home. You have LOTS of ice to deal with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been icy here for weeks and weeks. The hiking pole helps too.
      Do you have much snow ?

      Delete
  3. We're on the weather roller coaster here, too. Love your grippers, I could use a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my grippers! Your new ones look the same as mine. Luckily I haven't needed to us them much so far this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your grippers from, Sybil?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of grippers before, Sybil... but then we don't get snow and ice down here, so we haven't needed anything like that. But what a brilliant concept - and sooo glad you invested in a pair of proper good quality ones. I'm sure the dogs love the fact that you can go walking with them everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.