Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Fever !

I'm finding myself far more engaged in these Olympic Games than past Games.  The obvious reason would be that I'm retired and home in the day.  But I'm not sure that's totally it. 

Whatever the reason, I'm enjoying watching skiing, curling, skating, luge and right now I've actually got hockey on.  Hockey !  Me watching hockey !  It's the women's gold medal game against the U.S.  How could I not watch it ?    Heck, even my cat, Roswell,  is watching it.

I'm not sure about the "Own the Podium" slogan.  An athlete being interviewed on the CBC said that it wasn't very Canadian of us and that "Aim for the Podium" might be a little less arrogant.  I'm inclined to agree.  What do you think ?

Anyway it's rather fun in the middle of winter to get all fired up watching adults play games and have fun in the ice and snow doing things they feel passionate about.   It's nice to tear up seeing someone belting out the Canadian anthem as they stand, overwhelmed with happiness, on the highest tier of the podium. 

Not everyone can win.  But it is wonderful to see them trying so hard,  not winning and still feeling good about themselves for just being in the Olympics and doing their best.  That's what it should really be about.  Not "Owning the Podium".

Wouldn't it be lovely it the Olympics embraced the oath of the Special Olympics:

  “Let me win, but if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt.”



Go Canada !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.