Friday, December 3, 2010

The secret at the end of the street.

I know a secret. I know a secret.

I accidentally found something stuck in the trunk of a tree at the end of my street.


It was a carefully camouflaged, waterproof box.  

Can you guess what it was that I had stumbled across ?


It was a  "geocache".

Geocaches are part of a world-wide game of hide and seek.

There are web sites dedicated to listing hidden geocache locations.  You enter your postal code on the site and it will give you a listing of all geocaches within a 50 km radius of your home.  The location is given as latitude and longitude coordinates.  Your job is to find the hidden geocaches using a GPS device.

Sometimes when people find the box they leave a note in the enclosed log recording their find.  They may also take an item from the box, but if they do they must leave another item.  Then the box is returned to its original hiding spot for another person to find.

The final part of this game of hide and seek it to go onto a website and record the find.

There are geocaches hidden EVERYWHERE ! 

I'm keeping an eye out on Kijiji for a cheap, used GPS. 

I  want to get in on the game.


If you are interested in learning more about geocaching  visit    http://www.geocaching.com/

2 comments:

  1. How cool Sybs!
    What was in the container? Did you take something / leave something?
    What a neat idea.. I've been fascinated with crevices in trees since I read "To Kill a Mockingbird".. :)
    Good luck getting your GPS :)
    xo j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it wasn't a proper find I didn't take anything but I did sign the log book.

    There were little plastic toys in it.

    I'll keep an eye on Kijiji but a GPS is sorta far down my list.

    Gotta pay off my dental bill first !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.