Tuft of grass
green as summer
Frozen in ice.
stuck on ice
far from home below.
cannot reach the sky.
Come spring, they'll try.
not nature, but by fairy maid
Gone, come spring.
strings of DNA
frozen in ice.
I thought at first that haiku had to adhere to a formula of a certain number of syllables per line, 5,7,5.
That pattern belongs to a specific style called "hokku".
Some Haiku can be 3,5,3 or 5,3, 5
English haiku is a total of 10-14 syllables, but can be up to 17.
Some haiku poets feel that their poems should be expressed in one breath.
A haiku can be a single line or merely one word long. Bottom line ? Make up your own rules. Enjoy !
- an icicle the moon drifting through it
- -- Cor van den Heuvel (the window-washer's pail, 1963)
- Haiku of four lines or longer have been written, some of them "vertical haiku" with only a word or two per line. These poems mimic the vertical printed form of Japanese haiku.
- she watches satisfied after love he lies looking up at nothing
- -- pw (Blithe Spirit 10:4, 2000)