Saturday, May 21, 2016

A long, lovely (buggy) walk ...

Yesterday was sunny and warm.  Jacqui my geocaching buddy, the dogs, and I went to Powder Mill Lake trail to go caching. 

The trees were just starting to sport their marvellous, lime green colours of Spring.


The air smelled heavenly.  


We searched for caches -- most were easy to find.  'cept maybe this one.  Jacqui was sitting on a rock pondering where the nearest cache might be.


So I suggested she look UP.  Can you see it ?  A Wolf mask attached to the trunk of the evergreen just behind her.  

 The tightly rolled log that you can sign to show you found the cache was hidden in a canister tucked inside the head.

I would say that 70% of the caches I've found are hanging in or attached to trees.  The bulk of the remainder are hidden in logs, under roots or rocks.  Sometimes caches have amusing items attached to them.  It's hard to resist posing for silly pictures with some of said props.

So here I am "eating" a cupcake.


And here's Jacqui with her "big Mac".


Since we knew we'd be out for quite a while we brought lunches (made of REAL food)  and sat a while beside the trail to enjoy our lunches.    And while we ate, the "no see ums" fed on US.  Though I hate DEET, I carried a can of it with me, and sprayed myself liberally with it, but it did me no good.  It's easy to see why the bugs are so plentiful as there was lots of standing water and turgid streams.


Of course Wendy chased her ball.  She is in great shape for a 10 year old dog.  I let her decide when she's had enough of the ball-chasing; but in four hours of hiking around she never stopped bringing it back.  

Yep.  There was a cache hidden in the tree.
Often a series of caches will be placed by the same person so they will be on a theme.   After spotting the Wolf would you be surprised if I told you we found a Giraffe ?  It was a bit of a reach to get to it so we could sign the log.

  
Isn't it cool ?

Jacqui and I are thinking of creating and hiding a few caches of our own. I wonder what theme we should choose.  Any ideas ?


7 comments:

  1. After seeing the wolf, I thought Red Riding Hood might be along! Hmmm, themes. Something small, easily purchases, easily hidden . . . little plastic animals, sewing items, decorative pins or buttons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I kinda like the lil' plastic animal theme ... dogs maybe ? I'm not a sewing sorta gal. lol

      Delete
  2. It took me a bit, but I finally found the wolf. I think it would be marvellous if you made your own caches. Perhaps it could be something about dogs and balls. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy to see at first. I like your idea about dogs an balls ...

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you could use one of those beekeeper suits to protect yourself from the flying bugs when you go into the woods. The animal caches are very cool. Imagine how puzzled people (who aren't geocaching) are when they look up and notice them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another vote for the ball theme! Wendy always amazes me. One of our dogs does not fetch ever. The other dog fetches about 10 times, and then the game is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another vote for balls. They lend themselves to becoming containers or decorations or clues or trinkets - you could call it Wendy's Adventure. I am sure that you have already figured out leventy-eight ideas because that's just how you are. It will be fun to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.