Saturday, March 29, 2014

Surf's Down !

In anticipation of today's "N'or Easter' Surf Contest" in Cow Bay, I originally thought the title of this post would be, "Surf's UP !".

At 9:30 a.m. this morning, I tootled over to "Flag Pond" where the event was to take place, worrying that I might not be able to find a spot in the parking lot as I'd heard there might be 100 entries.  Would I have to park on the shoulder of the road ? and if so, how far I might have to walk ?

But when I got there, the lone man in the parking lot who was loading his surf board into his car, informed me that the surf was not up to snuff and that everyone had headed over to Lawrencetown.

And so that is where Wendy and  I headed.


The day was overcast, but at 7 C (44F) it was milder than it has been in a very, very long time.

After this dismal, bitter, long winter, we Nova Scotians have very low standards when deciding what "mild" is. 

Upon arrival we parked in the almost-empty lot, then followed the boardwalk to scope out where everyone was.  


Most of them were near the base of that distant hill, where the best surf can usually be found. 


There we found a few intrepid surfers heading out in search of rideable waves.


Even though they wear "dry" suits that include coverings on their hands, I don't know how they can endure the winds on their just-dunked-in-ice-water faces !


The surfers wore different coloured T-shirts so that the judges up on the hill could tell who was who.  Sadly, the surf was disappointing and the hoped-for surfer numbers just didn't materialize.  The waves were "choppy" and short, which did not allow for very long rides, making it difficult for the surfers to show what they could do.


The judges have a marvellous view.

We walked up that hill, past the judges "tent", through a small grove of trees,


and along the edge of the cliff.


From there we could see Condrad Beach in the distance, and when we looked out to sea,


we spotted a lone surfer eschewing the contest for some time alone on the sea,  paddling out to catch a wave.

Can you see him ?

What a rush that must be !

We then turned and walked back down the hill, and along the cobbled beach, because it was time to head home, 


and take Trey for a walk into the woods.

11 comments:

  1. I wish our beaches were this quiet Sybil! Crowds are not all that they are cracked up to be. We had a surfing comp near us recently, the "Quicksilver Pro", which is part of the world surfing tour events, and I couldn't get anywhere near the beach just to take photos! Is it usually warmer weather in NS at this time of year? Keen surfers will brave any weather for a wave....but I think Wendy just enjoyed the visit to the beach by the looks of it, and didn't even notice the temperature. :) ~~ Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy never notices the temperature. This is about "normal" for this time of year. The Atlantic never really gets warm for swimming 'cept really close to shore. Joanne, I was amazed when I first saw folk surfing in February -- in the dead of winter ! We are very close to being an island surrounded by water and with a population of only around 1 million people only the beaches near the cities are crowded .... ever.

      Delete
  2. Ice cream headache! Brrr. I wonder about whitewater kayakers, too. They bundle up in dry suits, but still, you can't cover everything.

    I love the shot of Wendy gazing down at the tiny surfers walking the beach below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen anyone out in kayaks at this time of year.

      We call ice cream headaches, "brain freeze".

      I love that photo too. Wendy's tail was waving back and forth slowly as she watched them.

      Delete
  3. I had to come to the library to see these photos. You know what Wendy's thinking, don't you. "Are those people mad?" (Yes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerry, I was amazed to learn that they surf year-round here in Nova Scotia. There certainly are some hearty, or is that crazy? , people here!

      Delete
  4. Hey Sybil ~~~ this is our home ~~~ so nice to see it from another person's perspective. It was a cold day I see (as usual)!! Thanks for the head's up on my Sophie's conehead situation. She has gotten used to it pretty much. WE take it off as longer as we are close to her inside or outside. This is the 1st time I have ever needed one of these so it's all new to me.
    So happy to connect, maybe some day we'll meet on the beach...hey maybe we already have...such a small world!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ron, you mean Nova Scotia is your home or Lawrencetown ? As you can surmise from my blog, I'm in Eastern Passage. Retired here from Ontario almost 5 years ago. Actually we fled Ontario to save my daughter's "pit bull" Trey. Trey is now my dog and the subject of more than a few blog posts. He's so gosh darn photogenic.

      Hope to meet you on the beach sometime.

      All the best, Sybil (and Wendy and Trey)

      Delete
    2. Lawrencetown is our home, however all your pictures today are our home too because we go to these beaches everyday. We just got back from watching surfers do their thing!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. It must be an incredible rush, otherwise I don't know how any person could put up with the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't imagine Les. Apparently some of the suits have "heated" tops or something, but there is no getting around that you are DUNKING YOUR FACE IN FREEZING WATER AND THEN LETTING THE RAGING WIND BLOW ON IT !! Sorry for shouting.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.