Saturday, March 28, 2020

I'm not sure where to start ...

A lot has happened since I last prattled at you; like a couple of mini strokes and an ill-timed visit to Toronto.

And now like most of you I am staying at home and only walking in the neighbourhood.  I really miss exploring the many wonderful trails here in Nova Scotia; but we've been told that if we have to drive to a trail -- it's too far away.

Spring is famous for being late here.  We can't plant most things until late May !  So I've ordered a seed catalogue and a plastic greenhouse to help me get through until then.

My trip to Toronto had been booked some months ago to coincide with my 70th birthday.  When I left Halifax on March 12 Covid was just being spoken of but within a day of my arriving things as you know accelerated exponentially.  Rather than staying with family in Toronto I ended up in Peterborough.  


Gifts from Sandy
The surprise party list

My friend Sandy had arranged a surprise birthday party for me; which for obvious reasons never happened.

During my stay at |Sandy's, things switched up from good night hugs to a parting "namaste".



My brother drove down from Ottawa and it was so difficult not to hug and kiss him.  Things were in a state of flux and we had a breakfast at the local Holiday Inn where we were the only customers.  The next day the restaurant closed entirely.


My chum Pat took me to visit her horse Babe.



I managed to hook up with friends Sue and Julie in Peterborough.  Social distancing was just starting to be mentioned and I'm retroactively concerned that we stood so close together.



Things changed daily at an alarming rate.

I was due to fly back to Halifax on Thursday March 19.  As things ratcheted up I thought it would be better if I went home sooner; so I went on-line and for $178 changed my return flight to Wednesday.  Three hours after changing my flight I got an email from Porter Airlines.  The subject line was a real eye-catcher.  It read:  "RETURN HOME IMMEDIATELY" !

I'd arrived on Thursday the 12th and here it was Monday the 16th and I once more switched my return flight only this time to the very next day, my birthday, Tuesday March 17.  It was interesting to change a flight and have no dollar figures showing for flights.

I'm glad I was flying on Porter which does not fly into Toronto International but rather into the small Toronto Island Airport called Billy Bishop Airport.



I bought a bus ticket from Peterborough to Toronto but my sweet nephew Keith insisted on driving to Peterborough to pick me up and drive me back to the city.



A tunnel connects the island airport to the mainland.  This is that tunnel at mid-day on the 17th.



I love to fly.   It is quite magical.  We often take it for granted.  I am riveted to my window, marvelling at the view below.   The island airport from which we had just taken off, is at the middle left in this photo.



I quickly discovered that when I looked at the plane's propeller on my phone's camera screen,  fascinating illusions appeared.  


Propeller "flying off"
"Melting" propellers
I've seen car tires in commercials that seem to be turning backwards.  I would guess the illusions we see here have to do with the speed of the props VS the speed of the film, with the added factor of the curve of the window pane.

To my eyes the pops were spinning so fast  as to be invisible. But on the camera screen they stopped.  Sometimes a prop would seem to be missing or even "flying off".  It was highly entertaining.

There should be SIX props.  



Have you ever noticed this phenomenon ?



Our shadow chasing us.
My birthday lunch. White wine and kettle chips at 25,000 feet !


Mystery lake. I'd love to follow a super-detailed map as we're flying so I can track our progress.


Been home over a week and roaring boredom has convinced me to write a blog about my recent doings.

About the TISs or mini strokes, thanks to our health care system I had a catscan and MRI and am on meds to control high blood pressure.

Now if something could be done to forward spring so I can go out and play in the dirt.


Stay well my friends.  Maintain social distances and do not go out unless absolutely necessary.

Sending you virtual hugs.

If you get a chance, let me know how you are amusing yourself in these interesting times.







10 comments:

  1. Your visits never cease to be entertaining!!!! Miss you already! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you were marvellous when I dumped myself on you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sybil, Glad you are home safe & sound. What a crazy time the last few weeks have been! Not sure it's going to improve any time soon. I was wondering around our backyard today wondering if I should be planning a large veggie garden this year. Looks like the strawberry plants you gave me made it through the winter (I don't think I told you that I had a ripe strawberry in November!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a small second crop of strawberries too. The flowers were still blooming on them.

      Keep up with the veggie gardening. Make it bigger.

      Delete
  3. I always end up sitting over a wing when I fly, so I've seen the propeller magic a few times :-) Sorry your trip wasn't quite what you were expecting it to be, but it looks like you made the most of your time in Ontario :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kelly, I am amazed I did as much as I did. But gosh it was uncertain and a mite stressful

      Delete
  4. Well, Belated Happy Birthday but what a time you've had! At least it was easier to get home quickly from Ontario than it would have been if you'd been outside Canada. I hope you have no more issues with little mini-strokes now that you are home safe and sound again. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, my blog fails to notify me when people comment so sorry for not responding sooner. Here it is July 1 and summer is in full swing and yet things still aren't back to "normal" Stay safe my friend.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sybs, I'm so glad you ended up getting a ride into TO as I felt nervous you were taking the bus! Yes, it's weird to see our photo as I felt like we were keeping a good distance from one another but our criteria changed rapidly following that day. I'm sorry you aren't able to get to your fav walking spots these days .. fingers crossed that things shift a little for the better in the next weeks. We've got the girls for several more weeks so school curriculum starts today! We had a fun Earth Hour on Saturday playing Uno by candlelight :) Love you and thinking of you xo J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie. So glad I got to see you and Sue. Here it is July 1 and things are not back to "normal". Hope you enjoyed the time with the girls.

      Hugs, Sybil

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.