Friday, April 3, 2020

Garden dreams ...

Quite UNsurprisingly enough, on-line seed suppliers are having trouble keeping up with orders this Spring. I totally get that.  I find comfort in dreaming about gardening and I am sure I am not alone.


Year after year my garden expands.


In anticipation of Covid-19 looming large in our lives for the next few months, many of us are looking forward to digging in the dirt; doing something productive while trapped at home.  That growing things care not a whit for Covid is marvellous.  It's like thumbing our nose at the virus and saying "life goes on.  You cannot stop my garden from blooming".


Thinking that perhaps you are feeling the same, here are some cheery garden pics to warm the cockles of your house-bound chilly Canadian hearts.  If however, you live in England or the U.S. or even warmer climes where it's already warmer, think of me still stuck inside while you enjoy the advancing season.


A thriving garden like that in the image above is four months away for us in Nova Scotia; but the planning can begin now.  Seeds can be started indoors.  Cold weather plants like peas can be planted out as soon as the ground is diggable.


Gardening is such a hopeful thing to do.  


When I'm out puttering in the garden my mind empties of stressful thoughts.  Does it do that for you too ?


I am at peace.



Looking at images of veggies and mosses and flowers on a cold soggy April day, helps me hang on until the arrival of the warm, Earthy-smelling days that are waiting in the wings.


In this scary time of Covid-19, our gardens give us hope that things will be better again.  Perhaps not as soon as we like but hopefully before the raspberries ripen.



Happy garden dreams everyone.
And in the mean time, stay safe.



11 comments:

  1. I love looking at your garden photos! I am dithering about vegetable gardening. I cannot make a decision. I think it's because if I decide to grow vegetables, I am admitting to myself that this new life will go on for longer than any of us wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. I wanna try some new things this year like cucamelon. I also want to grow "ground cherries" also called "cape gooseberries". They are tiny like tiny tims but sweet and delicious. Gardening is going to be very popular this year.

      Delete
  2. I love that your gardening helps you find a place of peace, Sybil. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I love your garden, Sybil. You grow raspberries??? Ohh, yummy. They look sooo delicious.

    Here too, I am kicking myself that I didn't go to the nursery before we went on Lockdown last week, as they are now all closed because they are not an essential service. Sighhhhh... I can't even order seeds or seedlings online, because all non-essential deliveries are strictly prohibited. But I can still fantasise about converting our drought-ravaged 'garden' into a kitchen garden! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have garden centres attached to our grocery stores but they do not open until May. I wonder this year if they will open at all. I think I can get seeds at my grocery store ... maybe.

      Delete
    2. I hold thumbs that you find seeds somewhere, and that your pretty garden will flourish this year.

      Delete
    3. Reggie, garden is all planted. No worries.

      Delete
  4. All I have to look forward to are some perennials left from the gardening past. The daffodils should be popping up soon - lilacs in May and poppies in June!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something to look forward to! That's in short supply these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really do love to read your comments.